Home Skip Navigation LinksNews News Story

<< back to previous page

Postgraduate degrees 'needed' for social care jobs

Published: Friday, 13 November 2009   Category: Public sector

Bachelor's degree-holders looking to get a graduate job in the social care sector may need to take up further study, according to the Independent.

The newspaper claimed that those who did not take an undergraduate degree in the field are required to have at least a two-year postgraduate course in a similar subject in order to enter the industry.

"Entry to the profession requires a degree in social work or two years' postgraduate qualification. Either way, your study will include at least 200 days of assessed practice in social work settings," journalist Steve McCormack wrote for the publication.

However, bursaries of up to £5,000 to help finance courses are available and graduate jobs in social care can offer starting salaries of £18,000, more in London, and up to £30,000 with career progression.

The newspaper recently spoke to Dr Mary Dengler, deputy director of the MSc course in sustainability and management at the University of London, who said that businesses are increasingly looking for people to take up roles in their corporate social responsibility sections.


news archives...

Email this page to a friend Facebook Twitter DZone It! Digg It! StumbleUpon Technorati Del.icio.us NewsVine Reddit Blinklist Add diigo bookmark