Apply by 31st January 2013
The North Highland Initiative, established by HRH Prince Charles to assist in the promotion and development of the economy and to support the rural communities of the North Highlands, is recruiting for a recent graduate to join them for a 12 month project. The graduate will deliver the Destination Development Plan working in conjunction with the tourism industry and key stakeholders to enhance the visitor experience in Wildlife & Touring, Heritage & Culture and Adventure & Golf.
The North Highland Initiative aims to promote and develop the economy and to support the rural communities of the North Highlands. To support the development of the tourism offering in the area, a recent graduate of any subject will be working to deliver measurable impacts for the tourism sector in the North Highlands during a period of 12 months.
The Destination development that the graduate will be involved in will focus on improving the quality and quantity of product in the key growth sectors in which the North Highlands has strength namely Wildlife & Touring, Heritage & Culture and Adventure & Golf. These sectors explicitly include walking, trekking, genealogy, archaeology, adventure sports, fishing, cycling, arts & events, food & drink.
The development of the tourism offering in the north highlands is a key project for NHI. Working in partnership with the tourism industry, key stakeholders and local communities the overall aim of the project is to grow the value of tourism in the region. A critical element of this is the development of new products and services to enhance the visitor experience.
The Destination Development Coordinator post will provide a key and critical part of the resource necessary to deliver the Destination Development Plan working in conjunction with the tourism industry and key stakeholders.
The graduate will travel extensively throughout the North of Scotland to attend meetings, and spend more than 50% of their time outwith the office.
The graduate will undertake the following tasks:
· Development of Destination Development Plan in conjunction with NHI CEO, area tourism groups. Months 1-3
· Preparation of product/service delivery project briefs including objectives, action plans and budgets. Months 2-5
· Identification of potential funding sources to support project delivery and complete applications as required. Months 3-12
· Coordination of the efforts of all partners in the delivery of individual projects and provide support as required. Months 4-12
· Report progress of projects to NHI CEO and partners involved in each project. – ongoing monthly
This position is part funded by Highlands and Islands Enterprise and the European Regional Development Fund.
Skills / Experience
· Project management experience
· Experience of working in a small fast moving business.
· Team working experience
· Highly literate & numerate
· Well developed communication skills
· Good working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite
· Strong administration skills
· Experience of working on own and reporting remotely
· Highly motivated
· Structured and logical thinker
· Practical, hands-on doer
· Confident and resilient
· Good with people
· Driving licence and access to a car
· Project planning skills
· Consumer facing background – sales, marketing, customer service
· Involvement in multi organisational /multi discipline projects
· New product/service development experience
· Would be described as a “completer-finisher”
A recent university degree, obtained within the last two years.
As part of the TalentScotland Graduate Placement Programme in the Highlands and Islands, the candidate will benefit from support from a team within Highlands and Islands Enterprise and also access training focussed on employability and business skills, including a five day residential course.
The placement is based in Wick, Caithness, with significant travel across the North of Scotland. Depending on the candidate, working from home may also be considered.