ILM Highland, a Social Enterprise based in Alness, is recruiting for a recent graduate of any discipline with an interest in the technical aspects of computers for a 9 month Project Officer role. The successful graduate will help ILM assess the feasibility of reconditioning and reusing IT equipment collected by ILM Highland, and to pilot an IT reuse service for 3 months. A successful trial could lead to a permanent opportunity for the right candidate.
ILM Highland, a Social Enterprise based in Alness, is recruiting for a recent graduate for a 9 month Project Officer role. The successful graduate will help ILM grow through the development of additional business activities, specifically via WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) Recycling Service.
The objective of the WEEE Reuse project is to specifically assess the feasibility of reconditioning and reusing IT equipment collected by ILM Highland, and to pilot an IT reuse service for 3 months. Currently, all IT equipment is processed and treated by ILM Highland for complete recycling. However, the volumes of IT equipment being treated and recycled are high – on average 500 units each month. ILM is keen to trial the reconditioning of IT equipment, which if successful will subsequently lead to delivery of the service by ILM Highland and equipment will be sold in the shop and potentially direct to charities and other social enterprises within the Highlands on an ongoing basis. This will generate new income for ILM and create new jobs.
ILM aims to increase the reuse levels of WEEE as a much more sustainable approach to waste resources, as identified in the Waste Management Hierarchy which is supported by Scotland’s Zero Waste Plan.
The graduate would bring the necessary expertise to the ILM Highland to undertake the following activities and tasks related to the project:
· Assess past, present and future quantities of IT equipment in the WEEE stream at ILM
· Research current capabilities for reconditioning computers, including associated cost
· Liaise with other projects and organisations that recondition IT equipment
· Research equipment, skills, software and processes required to recondition IT equipment
· Recondition a selection of the most suitable IT equipment for reuse
· Assess feasibility of implementing an IT reuse service, and produce a feasibility plan
· Research the various outlets and options to sell reconditioned IT stock
· Carry out market research to assess the viability of selling reconditioned IT equipment
· Produce a marketing and publicity plan to successfully launch and promote the service
· Assist to develop an IT reuse service, and commence sales of reconditioned IT equipment
Skills / Experience
· Experience of working on technical aspects of computers – whether it be in a previous job, at home, as a hobby, or at university
· Previous experience using computers
· Good communication skills
· Good report writing skills
· Reliable and honest
· Flexible and adaptable
· IT or Electronic Engineering graduate with technical ability to recondition computers/ IT equipment
· Excellent research skills
· Basic understanding of marketing and sales
· Working in an office environment
· Sense of humour
· Able to use own initiative
· Creative thinker
· Degree of any discipline.
As part of the TalentScotland Graduate Placement Programme in the Highlands and Islands, the candidate will benefit from support from a team within Highlands and Islands Enterprise and also access training focussed on employability and business skills, including a five day residential course.
Preferred Placement Start Date
All applications will be processed through the Talent Scotland Graduate Placement programme. Please direct all initial questions or enquiries to the Talent Scotland team.