Location - Highlands and Islands, Inverness and surrounds
Salary - £15,702 per annum
Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE) are recruiting for a 12 month graduate placement to produce a series of local area economic profiles - delivering a tailored suite of localised geographic and sectoral economic intelligence to inform understanding of the regional economy and its constituent geographies.
Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE) are recruiting for a graduate placement to produce a series of local area economic profiles- delivering a tailored suite of localised geographic and sectoral economic intelligence to inform understanding of the regional economy and its constituent geographies.
This will involve:
- a comprehensive statistical exercise, utilising national statistics (socio-economic indicators such as population, economic structure and unemployment etc), internal data on business and sectoral performance, local knowledge and other sources of published research
- analysis and interpretation of the intelligence collated, involving discussions with HIE staff, data providers and engagement with public sector partner organisations across the region
- working with HIE staff to consider how best to present the intelligence and wider narrative for both internal and external audiences – involving an interactive web portal and written reports
Please note this placement is funded directly by HIE as part of HIE’s graduate placement programme.
Skills / Experience
- Experience of data collation and economic analysis
- Excellent numeracy and report writing skills
- Project management experience
- Very good interpersonal skills
- Experience of collaborative working
- Highly organised, motivated and flexible
- Excellent ICT skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Ability to travel extensively throughout the Highlands and Islands
- Knowledge/experience of economic research
- Driving license or alternative means of transport
- Gaelic language skills (speaking, reading or writing)
- Degree or postgraduate degree in economics or other relevant disciplines.
The successful candidate will gain practical experience in data analysis and interpretation, project management and to develop both communication and written skills.
This graduate placement is one of 7 graduate placements currently being recruited to within Highlands and Islands Enterprise. This is the second year that HIE has run a graduate placement programme and you can read more about the experiences of the first graduate cohort on the HIE website.
The graduate may access a 5 day residential course for graduates focussed on employability and business skills, offered through TalentScotland.
Tha spèis cho-ionnanachd aig HIE airson na Gàidhlig agus na Beurla. Tha sinn a’ cur fàilte air conaltradh sam bith anns a’ Ghàidhlig. Freagarraidh sinn conaltradh sa Ghàidhlig ceart cho luath ‘s a fhreagras sinn sa Bheurla.
HIE has equal respect for Gaelic and English. We welcome any communication in Gaelic. We will respond to Gaelic communication just as quickly as we respond in English.
Location: Cowan House, Inverness
Preferred Start Date: 10th December 2012
Duration: 12 months