Want to gain valuable, tangible work experience following graduation?
With ScotGrad you will have the opportunity to:
- Work on a short-term project with local businesses in Scotland (placements last from 3-12 months)
- Work on projects that are innovative, quantifiable and measureable
- Work in organisations of all sizes - participating businesses are dynamic, growth-oriented and located across Scotland, within the private and voluntary sectors.
- Attend bespoke residential business skills training
- Receive a minimum salary of £16,000 (pro rata). Often employers pay more, depending on sector and skills required. Some employers also offer additional benefits, like bonus schemes.
Who are we?
Previously known as the TalentScotland Graduate Placement Programme, ScotGrad was launched in August 2013 and aims to provide an enhanced graduate and student placement service for Scotland. Operated by Scottish Enterprise, Highlands and Islands Enterprise and AGCAS, we are here to provide Scottish companies and social enterprises with the talent and skills they need to thrive and grow, whilst providing opportunities for those looking to build a future career.
Other partners of the programme are the Scottish Government, Scottish Funding Council and Skills Development Scotland.
In the Highlands and Islands the programme is supported by the European Regional Development Fund.
All placements are based on innovative projects that are important for the growth of the hosting organisation. These projects cover a range of sectors and project types and can include marketing, engineering, business development, IT, HR, product development and many more.
The graduate will be given responsibility for delivery of their project and there will be a steep learning curve, settling into a small or medium sized business. It is very likely that the graduate will be involved with a range of tasks that provide a lot of opportunities to enhance your transferable skills.
A large number of our placements offer the possibility of extension or conversion to a permanent role at the end of the placement period.
Training and Development
Our graduate placement programme includes between two and four days complimentary residential training, to develop additional innovation and business skills. The course will help you apply all learning directly to your placement project and includes training on project management, business development, innovation and entrepreneurship. The course is delivered by Robert Gordon’s Business School and Strathclyde’s Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship.
- Learn new skills and gain confidence
- Learn more about your project and its relevance for the company
- Gain new ideas for your project/how to tackle your tasks
- Meet fellow graduates on placement
What we look for
We are looking for graduates who are keen to use their skills to a make a difference to the small and medium sized organisations they will work for.
The programme is open to all graduates who:
- Hold a university degree (or above) or have an HNC or HND qualification.
- Have graduated in the past four years, without a permanent job at a graduate level for more than a year since.
- Are fluent in English.
You can come from anywhere in the world and there’s no age restriction.
If you require a visa to work full time in the UK, please note that you are responsible for arranging this yourself and ensuring compliance with UK Border Agency requirements, e.g. for Tier 2 sponsorship, you need to ensure that the job is at a level suitable for sponsorship and paying the associated salary (which will be not less than £20,300). Not all jobs are open to or suitable for Tier 2 sponsorship. ScotGrad do not sponsor workers ourselves.
We’ve facilitated over 200 placements so far, please read some of the success stories of our graduates here:
How to apply
Visit our website